Tuesday, March 18, 2008

pLaY-dOh pEoPLe

Some moms don't like to their kids play with play-doh and I know why....because it makes a huge mess! But the hour they spend totally entertained is completely worth it. Karli came up with these fun monters and she told me, "I'm so glad I thought of these." Creating truely allows children to express themselves and focus their energy in a positive way. Best of all it gets them away from the TV or DS. Karli and Halee kept asking me to make play-doh and I kept putting it off. When I finally gave in, I realized that it really takes hardly any time at all! Now I have a use for all that flour in food storeage that has expired.


ReCiPe fOr pLaY-cLaY


3 Cups Flour
1 1/2 Cups Salt
1 1/2 Tbs. Cram of Tarter
3 1/4 Cups Water
6 Tbs. vegetable oil
Food Coloring

*Mix dry ingredients in big pot in separte bowl mix the liquids. Pour liquid over dry ingredients and stir (lumps will work themselves out). Cook over med-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture gets too stiff to stir. Will stiffen more as it cools. Let cool 5-10 min.

**My friend runs a preschool and when she makes play-doh she uses a packet of dry kool-aid instead of food coloring. The play-doh is scented and colored!!! I've never done this but it sounds fun!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I know what you mean about the big mess! I have never made play-clay before, I need to try it... Every time we do play-doh I throw about half of it away! Thanks for the recipe!

Jennybug said...

I am a big fan of play-doh! You are so right the mess is worth the time it allows them to be creative. Another idea is to send them outside and let them gather junk in the field. Ha Ha Ha! Thanks for the invite to your blog1