Monday, March 31, 2008

Nate the Great


I just have to brag a little about my oldest child. In the past Nate and I have butted heads quite frequently. I used to think that it was because he was like his dad...but then (after learning a little about birth order and personality traits) I realized that it's because he's a lot like ME! We are both the oldest child in our families and that means we both like to be in control. That is why we struggled so much. I have been enjoying our relationship so much this past year. He is maturing and becoming so responsible and talented. Now we use him as our babysitter when we go out. It is so awesome!!! Last time I told him that if the house was clean when we came home that he would get a bonus. ( I only pay him a dollar an hour) He had the whole house spotless. And when I say the whole house I mean the bedrooms, basement, kitchen, everything...even the little phone area where all the papers collect! I was totally amazed!! So instead of making $1/hour he made $2/hour. He is doing a great job. I know it's not much to pay when all the babysitters make between $5-$8 an hour here but I think it's teaching him to work and save and he's excited to earn money. Plus he is my son I think I should get some kind of special babysitting privileges!

3 comments:

The Ackerman Family said...

It is so funny how our kids can be so much like us! Jake always says that Jayda is a mini me, and I see a lot of myself in her when I was her age, both of us being the oldest. Glad that you and Nate have such a good relationship! I can't wait for the day when Jayda can babysit! It was fun to see Trevor at the Jazz game last night!

Jennybug said...

I loved it when Kendra was old enough to babysit. Sometimes I didn't even pay her, we just got a movie for them at Blockbuster. Cute picture!

Karen said...

I can't wait till Zach is old enough to babysit!!! I think a dollar an hour is just fine, who the heck started paying babysitters so much anyway? I might start a new babysitting business on the weekends!